- C. Peterson-Salahuddin and N. Diakopoulos Negotiated Autonomy: The Role of Social Media Algorithms in Editorial Decision Making. Media and Communication. 2020
- N. Diakopoulos and D. Johnson Anticipating and Addressing the Ethical Implications of Deepfakes in the Context of Elections. New Media & Society. 2020. [Preprint | Link]
- J. Bandy and N. Diakopoulos. Auditing News Curation Systems: A Case Study Examining Algorithmic and Editorial Logic in Apple News. Proc. International Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM). June, 2020. [PDF]
- D. Trielli and N. Diakopoulos Partisan Search Behavior and Google Results in the 2018 U.S. Midterm Elections. Information, Communication and Society. May, 2020. [Link]
- N. Diakopoulos. Transparency. Oxford Handbook of Ethics and AI. Eds. Markus Dubber, Frank Pasquale, Sunit Das. March, 2020.
- N. Diakopoulos. Computational News Discovery: Towards Design Considerations for Editorial Orientation Algorithms in Journalism. Digital Journalism. March, 2020. [PDF]
- N. Diakopoulos, M. Dong, L. Bronner, and J. Bowers. Generating Location-Based News Leads for National Politics Reporting. Proc. Computation + Journalism Symposium. March, 2020 [PDF]
- D. Trielli and N. Diakopoulos. How Journalists Can Systematically Critique Algorithms. Proc. Computation + Journalism Symposium. March, 2020 [PDF]
- Y. Wang and N. Diakopoulos. Readers’ Perceptions of Personalized News Articles. Proc. Computation + Journalism Symposium. March, 2020 [PDF]
- H. Dambanemuya and N. Diakopoulos. “Alexa, what is going on with the impeachment?” Evaluating smart speakers for news quality. Proc. Computation + Journalism Symposium. March, 2020 [PDF]
- N. Hagar, J. Bandy, D. Trielli, Y. Wang, and N. Diakopoulos. Defining Local News: A Computational Approach. Proc. Computation + Journalism Symposium. March, 2020 [PDF]
- N. Diakopoulos. Towards a Design Orientation on Algorithms and Automation in News Production. Digital Journalism. November, 2019 [Link]
- M. Díaz and N. Diakopoulos. Whose Walkability?: Challenges in Algorithmically Measuring Subjective Experience. Proceedings of the ACM (PACM): Human-Computer Interaction: Volume 3, Issue CSCW. November, 2019 [PDF]
- N. Diakopoulos. Automating the News: How Algorithms are Rewriting the Media. Harvard University Press. June, 2019. [Link]
- D. Trielli and N. Diakopoulos. Search as News Curator: The Role of Google in Shaping Attention to News Information. Proc. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). May, 2019. (Best Paper Honorable Mention) [PDF]
- C-G Lindén, H. Tuulonen, A. Bäck, N. Diakopoulos, M. Granroth-Wilding, L. Haapanen, L. Leppänen, M. Melin, T. Moring, M. Munezero, S. Sirén-Heikel, C. Södergård, H. Toivonen. News Automation: the rewards, risks and realities of ‘machine journalism’. WAN IFRA Report. March, 2019. [Link]
- N. Hagar and N. Diakopoulos. Optimizing Content with A/B Headline Testing: Changing Newsroom Practices. Media and Communication. 7 (1), 2019. [PDF]
- J. Bandy and N. Diakopoulos. Getting to the Core of Algorithmic News Aggregators: Applying a Crowdsourced Audit to The Trending Stories Section of Apple News. Computation + Journalism Symposium. February, 2019. [PDF]
- N. Diakopoulos. The Algorithms Beat. Data Journalism Handbook. Eds. Liliana Bornegru and Jonathan Gray. 2018. [Link]
- M. Koliska and N. Diakopoulos. Disclose, Decode and Demystify: An Empirical Guide to Algorithmic Transparency. The Routledge Handbook of Developments in Digital Journalism Studies. Eds. Scott Eldridge II and Bob Franklin. October, 2018.
- N. Diakopoulos, D. Trielli, J. Stark, S. Mussenden. I vote for – How search informs our choice of candidate. In: Digital Dominance: The Power of Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Apple. Eds. M. Moore and D. Tambini. June, 2018. Open Access [PDF]
- Data-Driven Storytelling. Eds. N. Riche, C. Hurter, N. Diakopoulos, S. Carpendale. A.K. Peters / CRC Press. March, 2018. Amazon
- N. Diakopoulos. Ethics in Data-Driven Visual Storytelling. Data-Driven Storytelling. Eds. N. Riche, C. Hurter, N. Diakopoulos, S. Carpendale. A.K. Peters / CRC Press. March, 2018.
- S. Drucker, S. Huron, R. Kosara, J. Schwabish, and N. Diakopoulos. Communicating Data to an Audience. Data-Driven Storytelling. Eds. N. Riche, C. Hurter, N. Diakopoulos, S. Carpendale. A.K. Peters / CRC Press. March, 2018.
- D. Trielli, J. Stark and N. Diakopoulos. Algorithm Tips: A Resource for Algorithmic Accountability in Government. Computation + Journalism Symposium. October, 2017. [PDF][Link]
- D. Park, S. Kim, J. Lee, J. Choo, N. Diakopoulos. N. Elmqvist. ConceptVector: Text Visual Analytics via Interactive Lexicon Building using Word Embedding. Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG). October, 2017. [PDF Pre-print]